Wednesday, December 3, 2008

It's 1:23 am and I am just starting a paper on a book that I have not read. It only has to be four pages and I am fairly confident that I can produce a halfway decent paper.

Ignoring that for the moment, I thought I might post, rather than let this blog collect metaphoric dust.

Today, I received what will probably be the most influential letter of my academic career. In my education class we were required to write thank you notes to the teacher of whom we observed. I decided to write a general letter the the entire Marshfield High School history department, and then a personal one to Mr. Centorino. My letter to Mr. Centorino was as follows:

Mr. Centorino,
I feel the need to thank you, above all others, personally for the time and interest that you have given to me since having me as a student during my senior year of high school. It was your teaching style and enthusiasm for your subject that first drew me towards philosophy and I owe you greatly for that. It is not only a subject of interest for me, but also now a major part of my life. It has helped to shape me into the person that I am now, and I know that it will continue to be a large portion of my life in the future, even when I am no longer studying it.
Getting to observe you as a teacher, as opposed to being a student in your classroom, was a large eye opener. You have the greatest classroom presence that I have ever been witness to. If I can command a class in only a fraction of the way in which you can command yours, I will consider myself to be a successful teacher. What I always liked about you as my teacher was how personal and comfortable you were. You were relaxed and spoke to us on an eye to eye level instead of placing yourself on a podium high above us. Students react to a teacher whom they feel comfortable around, and being a part of your class gave me an idea of how I want to treat my own students when I become a teacher myself.
I am grateful for all the time and advice that you have given me since I have started college. It is a great feeling to know that I can talk to someone who has already gone through similar circumstances as myself, and I do not feel that the advice that you have given me has been limited to simply scholastic topics.
Teachers like you make an impact in their student's lives. It is also teachers like you who make their students want to become a teacher themselves. You happen to have done both for me. I thank you for all that you have done for me and I thank you for all that you may do for me in the future.
Sincerely yours,
Tara Cyr


His response was:

I have received but a few letters from former students that have brought me chills. Thank you so much for spending the time to write me this letter. Hearing positive thoughts from former students truly is an inspiration. Things like this brighten my day and help me to re-focus on the main important part of my job: educating kids. In this profession, you can get bogged down with state mandates, ridiculous meetings, public bashing, etc. but when push comes to shove, you have to just close the door and teach.

I've had good days and bad days in the classroom, but I have never regretted choosing this profession. Sometimes I think it chose me! I don't now what else I would do!

Thank you again so so much. If there is anything I can ever help you with, please let me know. I'm confident that your passion for philosophy, history, and education will positively influence your students one day. It is one of the most rewarding professions...and your letter to me is evidence of that fact!

I wish you the best on your finals / papers. Please keep in touch!!

Dominic Centorino

This letter has made me feel that I have quite possibly chosen the correct path in my life. I have always been the type to second guess my self. To wonder if I really am doing what is beneficial to myself. They type to forever over analyze my decisions and to go off on existential dilemmas.

For once in my life I want to be sure of something. Of course, I'm still not, but this response has definitely brightened my day. As I sit here, cross-legged on my bed with Jim Morrison in the background, trying to pull a paper about late 19th century Vienna out of my ass, I feel good. A bit drowsy and still relatively stressed, but good.


Tomorrow, (later today) holds a western civilization lecture on World War 2, a break from where Plato and Aristotle typically resides and then a World War 2 class. From there I will grab some food, pack, and catch a train to South Station and back to Green Bush. I'll probably get breakfast at my work on Friday.

Home stretch now.

I'm fairly positive that this semester could not end soon enough.

/Peace/ Love/ God Bless


1 comment:

dgd said...

Tara, i have to say, with your amount of enthusiasm and love for learning, i honestly couldnt picture you in any other profession, and you will be a great teacher, if only the rest of us could get our shit together, this world will be a better place.